Monday 15 August 2011

Fair-well spring/summer 11

Each summer, the world of fashion has a mid-year crisis. Our wardrobes suddenly become less fashionable and the couture shows slightly predictable. 


The colour blocking trend and 70's revival of this spring/summer seems to have been the most repetitive trends on many of the couture shows. 


As I button my belt in the car and tune into vogue TV on my IPad, I expect to see the same thing from every designer. it's either the maxi dress, playsuit, or denim. Don't get me wrong, I love all the clothes listed, but I like to be experimental with fashion and wearing lots of it. Summer is all about wearing less clothes and undeniably, that means less fashion. 


From Gucci, to Diane Von Furtenburg, every couture show had a herd of models dripping in a hue of bright coloured clothing that was more or less the same thing. 


As I rummaged through my wardrobe this summer, my options were either a floor-sweeping maxi or floral playsuit. Is this really exciting? Am i really wearing a statement outfit, or am I wearing the clothes that have been chosen for me?


I am not saying that I don't love a maxi, (who doesn't?) but in a city which is homed some of the most influential designers, (Stella McCartney is a huge fashion muse along with Jimmy Choo, who studied at London College of Fashion), should we really be opting to wear just the one maxi? Is it right that we limit ourselves to this one statement dress? it's not exactly breaking the grounds of fashion. 


I loathe the fact that we are having to conform to a certain way of dress. And each summer, the clothes us girls have to put on our backs is merely a repeat of what another girl wore out the night before.


So i couldn't be happier that we are approaching autumn/winter 11 and waving good bye to the  intolerable maxi and everlasting floral print. The trends for this coming season are beaming with colour, sensuality and thankfully, unpredictability. The late photographer Helmut Newton is somewhat the godfather of this coming season; his photographs which represented the power of sexuality and nudity are having great influence on the couture shows. From Gucci, to Louis Vuitton, designers seem to be channelling the 'sexy' trend. 


Designers are playing with fashion and taking inspiration from wildlife and the orients. Stella McCartney is channelling peak-a-boo type dresses with polka-dot sheer panelling. Her dresses are tight and accentuates the female body. Celine and respected duo Dolce and Gabbana are channelling sexy androgyny; the girls are borrowing from the boys and ditching their trusty body con dresses for tailored trousers and bow ties in an array of neutral  colours. 


So as we kiss goodbye to our summer garments for another year, and greet our autumn/winter gear with open arms, I say fair well to predictability and hello fashion!

Sakaynah x

No comments:

Post a Comment